Thursday, August 24, 2006

Chuck it all away...

I had an interesting conversation with a close friend of mine. Be nice cos he is a close friend of mine. He said he had just burnt (and chucked out) all of his movies and music that wasn't Christian. It's all spiritual and to get into these things, you are getting involved in spiritual warfare unnecessarily. If you enjoy this stuff, it's even more serious. He said that you've got to see where the artist is. That should be your test. Furthermore, there is a close link between emotion and spirituality.

Now as far as I'm concerned, I don't really own any movies and my cd collection is negligible, however, I do listen and enjoy music, movies, inane conversation, sport, etc. So, does that mean that I should give it all up. Or that I should only partake if there are nonchristians to whom I can witness (whilst being very wary)? Computer games, magazines, music, television, sport, cards, reading, education: they all have the potential to become idols for us. Is that what my friend is warning me against? To an extent yes. And I accept that warning, but he was saying more than that - rather, that these idle pleasures are places where the devil can take root - particularly music. Secular music is a powerful thing, many artists are hung up on sex drugs and alcohol, and if we listen to it, we too will become obsessed with these things.

Well, I dunno. I see that some things really are not uplifting, so I should be careful about what I look at and listen to. Some things are overwhelming, so I should watch that I don't become addicted. But as I see it, many of these things that my friend has thrown out and renounced are in fact, gifts from God (irrelevant of whether the artists, etc, realise that it is God who gives them their gifts) - similar to creation. We can worship creation - and that is a rejection of God. We can enjoy creation - and that has the potential to be glorious to God.

One comment that I did like was "the world dishes out a lot of crap... it doesn't mean we need to eat it".

I have to commend my friend on his decision to get rid of the junk that was trashing his life. In essence, it is just crap, and we all seem to be suckers...

But beware of asceticism.

8 Comments:

Blogger Taz said...

A good question to ask him might be why he hasn't decided to become a monk.

I'd write a better (lengthier) response, but I have to go to my next conference...

3:41 pm  
Blogger BSJ-rom said...

Would that be speaking in love. Is your snappiness in suggesting a monkhood an avoidance on your part in addressing the issue. It's an issue that I want to shirk, so much so that almost every response that I come up with is just an excuse for minimalism. Realism and minimalism always seem to be blurred.

4:10 pm  
Blogger Taz said...

"Have you thought about becoming a monk... dear?"

Seriously, though, I mean it. That kind of behaviour is one step away from monkhood, and if its the behaviour that Christians are supposed to follow, why don't we promote monkhood?

4:45 pm  
Blogger BSJ-rom said...

But, can you give me at least some sort of reference that would be valuable in a discussion, rather than just giving me condescending responses. A guy is trying to do what is right, based on his knowledge of the Bible, the least we can do is show some respect.

5:08 pm  
Blogger Taz said...

What's condescending? I'm giving you an idea, not a script.

Any given person will have one of two views about monkhood: that its the Christian thing to do, or its not. From there, discuss why separating yourself from 'worldly vices' is a good idea, why it's a bad idea, and look at the examaple of Jesus (i.e. eating with sinners, and the Pharisee's reaction).

Be creative.

10:00 am  
Blogger BSJ-rom said...

That's a valid comment, but the whole idea of creativity is a little tough isn't it?

1:01 pm  
Blogger Taz said...

You do want to write a novel. :-)

1:19 pm  
Blogger BSJ-rom said...

I knew that post would come back to haunt me...

1:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home