Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Boot Camp

I must say, the whole mid-semester break thing has been top-notch. Well, kind of. The fact that I've been working between 5 and 10 hours a day and still not getting a helluva lot done can put a bit of a dampener on things (especially when they call it a "break"). But it has meant that I've been able to get back out running and try to recover the fitness I had or maintain what little fitness I have left.

It started with Sunday and hill sprints up Brightwater Road. I used to be able to do over 10 of them. On Sunday I was onto my fifth rep and made it halfway before conking out. Just like a car out of petrol or something. It was most depressing to realise just how much I leg strength I have lost. I had footy training after that, which is always a bit of fun - mind you I feared for my ribs when Mark Wolfert fell on me during one of my potentially lethal tackles (lethal for me generally), but alas I am fine.

Monday was a half hour sleep in before hitting the road: my 16km loop around Blackers, Kingston Beach, Huon Highway and all that. I did it in 1h23m - only 7 or 8 mins slower than my pb, so all is not lost. I mean, I finished it.

Tuesday was back to the Brightwater Rd hill. This time I managed to eke out the fifth one, but it hurt. It hurt a lot. Then I had footy training which involved a very pleasant game of touch footy. Should be more of that, I reckon.

Then today, I thought I'd taper down and do the 14km Howden Rd circuit. Lots of lovely hills there. Don't know what time I did - just over an hour I'd say, so still in the ball park.

I'm still cut about my watch getting stolen. Dammit. I was umpiring at Brighton and I got back into the rooms to find my good sports watch (21st b'day present) gone. I told the match manager from Brighton and he couldn't give a damn. He gibbered on about how he might pass on the news to the club president who would keep an eye out for it and how they had lost the keys to the umpires' changerooms so that was the reason why people could wander in and out of there willy-nilly. So there they are, the frickin Brighton Footy Club, they can afford to pay one of their players a grand a game (and fix up all his debts, or so I heard) and they can't even afford to sort out a way of locking a fricking door for the umpires' changerooms. We do get treated like crap. Excrement. You get the idea - not happy.

So, I'm not sure what times I'm doing, which is not so much a problem for bragging rights, etc, but rather to get an idea of whether I'm actually fit or not.

So with all that said and done, I would have cracked about the fifty km mark since Sunday. Haven't done that mileage since preseason.

Oh, and Bucket invested in a gym for Nick's new place, which I put to use on Sunday and Tuesday. Three sessions a day on Sunday and Tuesday - solid work I reckon. But anyway, the plan is to get buff with the gym. I've got a lot of work to do cos I'm a complete runt.

So it's been a bit of a boot camp lately. Run. Run. Drop and gimme twenny. Run.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home