Saturday, June 16, 2007

Making up for lost time...



I wonder if I can flag my own blog for "Objectionable Content"?


I was umpiring today.

Highlights:
- I was throwing the ball in near the road at Kingston Beach Oval. A guy in a car on the other side of the fence had a water pistol. He squirted me. I said "Bugger off". He said "Love your hair". I said "Cheers".

- I got to umpire with Justin. Justin is a legend and I haven't had the chance to umpire with him since his return to the boundary this year.

- One of the biggest hits of the season happened. New Norfolk guy running full pace. Kingborough dude doing the same. Bone crunching collision. "Play on" was the call. Fantastic.

- The game was relatively competitive, despite Kingborough being cellar dwellers and New Norfolk flying relatively high.

I'm sure there were others, but it was oh so long ago... (It's becoming obvious that I am a useless witness at the tribunal)

Exams.

Hmmm. Fluid Mechanics 2 on Thursday. Environmental Engineering on Friday. It is a little worrying that I try to follow the examples in my notes and simply cannot. I find something in there that just seems wrong, so I spend hours looking at it, trying to comprehend it. Who knows if it is correct or not. And who to ask when you're alone at your desk. Predicament. And mum doesn't really know a heck of a lot about fluid mechanics. Despite the fact that she is bilingual, a teacher, a magnificent cook (she doesn't wear the funky chef hat) and generally mum. I love her despite her lack of knowledge of things fluid mechanical. Same can be said for dad. Except he is generally dad, rather than generally mum.

My Bachelor of Table Tennis is on hold. The table in the uni bar was removed. Shattered. The story goes that one of my engi mates was severely hampered in his mental judgements due to the bar's responsible service of certain beverages. As a result of this coffee high (or whatever it was), he found it incredibly amusing hit table tennis balls at people all evening. That is the story I heard. He may or may not have been found up a tree later that evening.

Another major impediment to justice and right-ness has been invoked. Ok, I probably shouldn't blog about it, however, I am concerned, so I shall share. The issue is simply that at Kidz Bizz the kids spent a Sunday morning at a nearby church... a church that had splintered from my own many years ago - at least 10 because they were already separate when I arrived. They also have more charismatic tendencies...The concern is against false teaching etc etc. Fair enough. And we are responsible for the kids as teachers.

Apart from the fact that reformed doctrine itself is not perfect and what we hear from the pulpit is at times dubious, it seems heavy handed to outright ban the working together in kids ministry of churches because theological differences "might" be present. I think this is the case for several reasons. First, the gospel presented to kids is very simple. Deviations from the truth are easily spotted, provided that we are there if anything dodgy does happen. We are then in a position to correct them. Secondly, the event in question was a "special event", one which probably would not have happened without the support of several churches. Thirdly, the issue of reciprocity. We encourage many young people from various churches to join us in programs such as 2o3 (our church youth group). Surely we're risking bad things by heavy-handedness.

I might also add that the decision was made more frustrating by the fact that Session made the decision entirely as a reaction, without consulting with kidz bizz leaders, let alone attending any of these events.

In any case, that has frustrated me.

Gee, so much has happened...

I also had a job interview last weekend. And I had a lengthy discussion with the IT guy at university. Maybe a separate post for each.

2 Comments:

Blogger Taz said...

Just remember that the Christian Reformed Church of Kingston has done a lot to become an "Exclusive Club" and these people are just making sure that it stays that way.

Seriously though, I can't understand how people can define themselves as 'Reformed'. Do these people even know some of the Reformed beliefs?

3:23 pm  
Blogger Taz said...

Maybe I should clarify the above comment, as it has been pointed out to me that it is harsh, as (in reading it again) I realise it very much is.

It is not meant to be a criticism in any way on the leadership team of the church, which is many ways is working to make sure that we have an outward-focused rather than inward-focused church.

My comment was written out of frustration not against the church as a whole, but rather against some people I had spoken to not long before making the comment and their attitudes that they didn't want our kids 'corrupted' by the dodgy theology of other churches.

It is people like this and others to whom my frustration was directed. In no small part this is because I know what it's like to try to enter the church as someone not born there. For 3 years I struggled to make any friends because there was no outward focus.

I realise that there are people trying to change this (myself included), so I do not mean to criticize them, and so my comment was probably not well worded in this regard.

10:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home