Monday, September 29, 2008

The big game/more preseason training/day off

The north v south game occurred at Bridgenorth Oval on Saturday. It's a small ground - only 140m long, according to google earth. (The centre square is meant to be 50m long and the 50m arcs are meant to be 50m long each, so 140m length ground is rather short.) Anyway... the long and short of it is that we lost by 15 points.

It was scrappy in the first half as the ground was still pretty wet. In the second half, the skills improved but the margin seemed to be pretty close all day.

Personally, I was feeling pretty flat - I didn't have the acceleration that I had enjoyed during my umpiring season, so that was disappointing. Interesting to note that the fitness was fine, it was just that I didn't seem to be able to get any speed with my sprints. My highlight was a beautiful shirt-front. One of the Lonnie boys who was built like a cube of muscle (I'll say muscle, it makes my story sound better) had been running through the midfield, collecting the ball and charging through and kicking into the forward line. Anyway, in the third quarter (maybe it was the fourth) he's come through and I've lined him and he's gone down like a sack of spuds and the ball's spilled free. It was a bit freaky cos he was a helluva lot bigger than me. I really didn't get into the swing of things til the second half - I had a couple of kicks into the forward line and neither of them hit targets, which was crappy. I picked up a couple of tagging jobs too, which I was quite happy with.

What else was there?

More preseason. I took the day off work today with grand plans for a blackadder marathon, but alas, it wasn't to be.

Instead, I took my car in for a service, walked into the uni from there and checked out Justin's final year engi project which involves wind monitoring masts. Then we went back to Kingston and did the infamous hill run.

I started out pretty quick, but my legs were tired, so it felt quite slow. As the run continued, I struggled more and more, and just tried to keep up with Justin. At the final 500m, it flattens off a bit, and I had mate, so we belted to the top of the hill. We made it up there in 32min40s, a personal best by 2min30s. We were quite happy with the achievement.

Congratulations must also go to Haile Gebrselassie for breaking his own world mark by 29s in the Berlin Marathon. He ran it in 2h3min59s. Corresponds to sub 3min kms all the way through. I've done a couple of them in my life... just a shame that we had to overshadow this remarkable event with our own world record hill run. Ah well, that's the way the cookie crumbles.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jonny said...

20.3 km/h. I am doing half that speed, which is a good start I guess.

11:18 am  
Blogger JK said...

hey Jermome iv kinda lunched back into blogging a bit, gotta new blog happening now. That footy game sounded dismal..anyway we should get some more curry soon, and discuss the eternal Youtube project?

4:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home