Friday, November 17, 2006

I told you it was boring when I talk about umpiring...


I'm finally back in training for the footy season. I assume I'm not going to get a trial for VFL, so that sucks, but it would be nice to have people wondering why the hell I didn't. I can't say I've got a lot of respect at the moment for the VFL bureaucracy. It seems like they just have a look at you, if they like you, you're in, if not, you don't hear a word from them. And I didn't hear anything from them about this coming preseason, so it looks like I'm going to have to take a lot of initiative.

Apparently they've changed the rules again (they change almost every year - it seems like they always change to go against me) so you need to do the top local grand final to get a trial. Of course I got shafted from the top grannie because I lost a fair bit of fitness because of my studies. That hurt a fair bit because of the ridiculous amount of work I put in during the preseason. It was one of those things where you put heaps in, do everything that you're told to do and then get told... nothing. And you get absolutely nothing out of it. Was it all a waste of time? I don't know.

But it was a combination of that, looking at my studies, my music, my writing, my sport, my life that resulted in me feeling really depressed. It's like I'm ok at anything I try, but never good enough to be good. That unintentional mediocrity. I'm at the point where I have almost managed to prove my career's advice councillor person wrong - getting through three quarters of my engineering degree with no passion whatsoever. That has proved to be a huge motivation to keep going. (The story goes that Mrs Viney, whom some of you might know, asked me what I was planning to do after college. I responded "engineering". She responded "you need a lot of passion to do engineering". That has been a major motivation for sticking with engineering.)

But I suppose I have to try to do God's will, and let him guide me. But he seems excessively subtle at this point in time.

Anyway, I've got to go and pack because I'm buggering off to Lonnie tomorrow, to start my 2-3 month work experience stint.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jonny said...

When I was at school there was no "career's advice councillor" and no Mrs Viney. We did work experience in grade 10 for a week, I chose architecture. But there was no follow up or discusion.

What were you told?

8:52 pm  
Blogger JK said...

Indeed your are right

2:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, :)

how are you? hope everything's better, if not great. may God Bless you & bring happiness. :D

i guess i have no counsellor when i apply for uni too. i dropped accounting for computers, but i've loved programming ever since. talk abotu passion, i didn't own a computer back then, so i use one at the lab. i remember the lab was freezing cold. tropical people wear winter clothes in there. :R (just kidding, we just layer more)

but i loved it, so it's okay. i hope you're doing great there. God Bless. :)

10:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

& i guess everything happens for a reason. you'll have experiences to tell maybe. & i like what you said - may God Guides us all in everything we do. amen. :)

10:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home