Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Well dressed at church? Yeah. Maybe. Nah.

Interesting sermon from Ecclesiastes. Big positive from it was to consider Christ in everything you do. I didn't necessarily agree with the outworkings of that. What do we wear when we go to church? That was one very good question. Do we just wear whatever, or do we get dressed up to come to "The House of God"...

But I stumble when I hear reference to a "House of God". The thought of God's omnipresence... earth as his footstool... the idea of church as where two or three are gathered in my name, there I (God) will be also...

But the idea of what we present before God, that it should be "First Fruits", that is important.

But let's just tear it down first. Filthy rags... they're ringing bells. Cheers Isaiah. Man looking at the outward appearance, but God looking at the heart. So what's your heart doing. It's a funny one, because we get trained up in our different ideas of what is right and wrong... and food sacrificed to idols suddenly pricks our consciences... or yours and not mine... so what am I meant to do about that? Huh?

But our whole lives are to be a spiritual act of worship. What a blessing... and what a curse if we've got wear our Sunday best in the shower... Why should we care what others think? Maybe because we shouldn't be stumbling blocks... and we should be all things to all men. But shouldn't we come, just as we are?

I started this post finding it kinda irksome that an application of "Considering Christ"* could be that we have a Sunday Best. Not much has changed.

At what point does my brother's weaker conscience, if this is what we're talking about, impact on how I dress, in the context of my next post?



*I think that's the best way that I can summarise the sermon...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home