Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Perth Shenania

I got to Perth at the end of the month of February. It is indeed a place of gorgeous weather, tasty food and wine, and family. It was the family reunion/cousin wedding, and I managed to get 4 days there.

So, on the Saturday we went to the Swan Valley for a wine tour and a pretty tasty sort of lunch. Saturday night we ended up playing 500 till about 1am.

Sunday morning began with lawn bowls at the local bowls club. I scored 22 points in I forget how many ends. I am assured that it wasn't too bad for a first timer... It was a very relaxed morning that one. It was a 4pm wedding - so the early afternoon was spent beautifying myself. I wore a suit and a collared shirt. The wisdom of this was questionable as it was about 40degC and very muggy. It was a lovely wedding - albeit rather warm. We were a bit worried that there might have been some fainting action - the bride was well dressed and the bride and groomsman had three-piece suits. But all survived. There was a lovely bit of choking up during the vows... it made it that bit more real, I suppose - having said that, I can't recommend people intentionally choking up just to make it look a little bit more real. It'd be a bit silly really.

There was roughly half an hour break between the wedding and the reception - they were both at the winery in the Swan Valley. All the guests were needing water. Because the bar tab hadn't commenced the staff came around offering bottles of water for three bucks each. I received a death stare from one of them when I suggested to my brother that rather than get water, he should get beer, because "it'd probably be cheaper..." The reception was lovely. The speeches were quite tame - which was surprising considering some of the people involved (c'mon, they're related to me.) And then the dance floor! Nothing ventured nothing gained... but in the end, I probalby lost weight - it was a solid couple of hours of random girations. Having said that I did well off my aunt, a cousin and my sister-in-law, in terms of scoring another couple of half mains and the majority of an extra dessert... Weight probably held its own.

The next day I caught up with John from primary school and we went for a kayak on the Swan River. We cruised through the Perth Yacht Club, past boats that wouldn't have looked small next to Greg Norman's Aussie Rules. That was followed by a trip to a festival - it was a public holiday and so we weaved and dodged through the masses and eventually bought a fedora... or I did. I do like my fedora. It is very cool. It will feature in future blog posts. Major problem though: if I get a hair cut, my fedora won't fit.

Tuesday involved random wandering about Perth. I even ventured out to Claremont to the big music store there, feigning buying a clarinet so that I could have a play. No woodwind for four days would have been too much. Then the midnight plane to Melbourne, en route to King Island.

2 Comments:

Blogger Gordon Campbell said...

You don't actually score "points" in lawn bowls, Mr Footy Umpire. You score "shots" and it sounds as if there might be a future for you in the sport, which is now being embraced by young people all over Australia. Good luck with it.

8:10 am  
Blogger BSJ-rom said...

Cheers mate. Will keep that in mind. If only I had time for a few more ends.

10:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home