Friday, May 04, 2007

Gutless Union

I wrote an article for Tog and it didn't get published. Have a read to find out why...


The Hippy-Nazi Insurrection

Senator Abetz, shame on you. The VSU legislation that you so ardently supported has directly resulted in untold amounts of greenhouse gases being cast off into the atmosphere. The hot air from our union must have contributed at least a couple of degrees to the global warming phenomenon.

This is all rather ironic, as the union is being run by a bunch of hippy-nazis, for whom global warming is a most serious issue.

Global warming aside, the evidence that the union is being run by hippy-nazis is overwhelming. Charging an extra 40c for gravy on chips at the refectory could only be the result of hippy-nazis or capitalist pigs. However, only hippy-nazis would leave the refectory microwave in such a filthy state, reminiscent of post-war Iraq. While on the topic of Union microwaves, there were two microwaves available for student use, now there is but one. Who is responsible? Is it the VSU or is it the hippy-nazi run Union? Perhaps that microwave was sold to raise capital and to save on electrical costs that would have been paid for by a compulsory student union.

Further evidence of hippy-nazism infiltrating TUU ranks was during the Engineering Society’s St Pat’s day barrel. What sort of Orwellian power do they think they are? Banning the sale of dollar beers… irrespective of serving size. This completely undermines the Union propaganda. A society being told to raise the price of beverages demonstrates… well I’m struggling to put a finger on exactly what it demonstrates. Hippy-nazis.

The plot thickens. The Goebel’s of the TUU found it appropriate to bemoan the fact that the Union concert cost fifteen dollars per head rather than being free. The evil Abetz failed to retort that students are now saving $132-$15, so a saving of $117 per semester, assuming that they actually went to the concert.

So where was the money going? To societies. Sure. They’re spitting chips at missing out on all the cash, but the Engi society still managed to get their wrist slapped for selling dollar beers.

More importantly, the money went to essential services like student housing, counselling services and representation. Where are these services now? Do they not still exist? Who funds them now?

Perhaps the hippy-nazis need to take some lessons from their capitalist pig cousins. Existing in a monopoly market, how can the combination of the Uni Bar, Lazenby’s, the Refectory, the Co-op Bookshop, the Post office, the travel agent, the doctor’s surgery, the newsagent, the bank, the law café and all the other cafes that are about campus run and not make a significant profit? Not saying that the union owns all of these franchises, but the union must be making some sort of handy cash from, for example, the CBA presence in the Tasmanian University Union building.

Yet these bars, cafes and food outlets hardly provide cheap food. They provide goods at market price or higher. The hippy-nazis are stealing from the poor and giving to the… actually, it is quite unclear to whom they are passing on our hard earned pennies. Perhaps the management is just incompetent. Perhaps not.

When it is all said and done, it all comes back to the Australian Liberal Party and their VSU legislation. The implications are horrific; global warming, under-funded societies, the war on terror, AWB and bloody Brian Bourke (you thought he was a labour man) are all products of this horrific legislation.



I guess it makes sense not to publish.

And the microwave is back (and filthy) but sour cream is now 40c too.

6 Comments:

Blogger Cabernet Leather said...

You've outdone yourself with this one!

Don't you go to the same church as Abetz?

8:51 am  
Blogger BSJ-rom said...

Yeah. Eric's a top bloke.

2:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good one jerome. Now i know why my chips cost more. I decided to put gravy on my chips one day and i thought I was charged more than I should be I assumed they mistook it for a bigger one. SO not only did they rip me off but they did not inform me of the extra rip off charge for taking a bit of gravy when they asked me if I wanted some. Is there a union oubidsman. I've been mislead. why dont't you try the attitude section of the mercury.

3:46 pm  
Blogger BSJ-rom said...

I thought Togatus was low... Attitude is at least several rungs below...

But yes, it's all a little dodgy.

7:27 pm  
Blogger nate said...

Wow. Hippy Nazis.

Some very solid points there - but i can see why they TUU wouldn’t print it. It wasn’t the most constructive article. hahaha. But that been said there are so many points there that the university population should hear. I guess a TUU publication isn’t the place to criticise the TUU though. Bet the ED had a laugh.

If you want a hand writing a critical (yet publishable) article then let me know. I have some very strong opinions and lots of inside knowledge on the union.

nice work anyway ;)

*thumbs up*

6:23 pm  
Blogger BSJ-rom said...

Cheers Nate.

When it comes down to it, I was writing out of ignorance - basing comments on what I had seen and expanded on that. However, I don't think that "Ignorance" is all that far off the mark.

I find that Togatus is a very unbalanced publication (I'm not saying that's unreasonable, in fact if it wasn't, I would be quite distressed) and they had a chance to
a) publish it and get high and mighty cos they were being balanced
b) not publish it, but send me an email to say that they saw my concerns, and here's why they are or are not issues and of course present me with the truth behind all the issues I am raising
c) ignore it hoping that I will go away (something that I may or may not do), suppressing that freedom of thought that (ironically) I rabbitted on in my previous Tog issue (it was all about having a voice).

Might have to post on it later.

Anyway, fun times.

11:46 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home