Monday, January 14, 2008

Jobs and Autographs

Whilst having a bash down at the Calvin cricket nets, there were a few kids playing. They didn't have any gear, so I lent them some of mine. They asked if any of us played in a team. Everyone looked at me... "I played Kingborough third grade. I was pretty useless*." The kids were excited as anything and asked for my autograph. When it was revealed that I didn't have a pen on me, one of them ran home and grabbed a crayon and some paper...

So, I made their day, and signed their paper and their cricket bat. Probably not good long-term prospects, when they realise how terrible a cricketer I actually was/am...


*As far as being a useless cricketer, I have proof:
I was playing down at Kingston Beach for the Borough thirds. In the sheds, the captain gave us all an inspirational talk. "You each have a role. Each of you know what your role is..." There was a solid five minutes of it.

As we walked out on to the field I quietly said to the captain, "Streety, I'm not exactly sure what I'm in the team as. I mean, am I a bowler or a batsman?" To which he replied, "You're a third grade cricketer."

Anyway, enough cricketing antics...

Jobs, now where did we get to? Well, I had an interview with the Hydro today. They bought me lunch, so I'm not complaining one way or the other. They made it sound like they really want me, and are willing to get competitive to get me. I've applied to Roaring40s whose position was that there were several applicants and that I was the one who had to get competitive. Rio Tinto, well, they're in Perth/Pilbara and I have a phone interview at 4pm tomorrow with their senior engineer. I don't know if they have any other people that they're considering for the position.

Anyway, that's jobs. PhD may or may not get a gurnsey. Not sure.

What else is new? Hmmm. Still running. I always have enough energy for the short strides at the end, having run so slowly during the reps, much to the coach's disgust. They don't seem to understand that I can't run anything over about 400m at any pace, let alone rep those distances, but somehow, after trying, I can still do my strides at decent pace. Confusing.

So, if I'm talking about running, then not much must be happening... we did win our touch footy game last week 14-2, so that was pretty cool. And we only had 6 players. (There's 6 on the field at any one time.)

Um, it's my birthday on Wednesday. I'm almost an old fart. Anyway, the traditional drowning of the sorrows will occur on Friday 18th January. Meet at Bar Celona around 8:30 or so. Anyway, if you can come, and you want to come, you're more than welcome. If you can't come, you'd still be welcome, but hey, that's life. If you don't want to come... fine. I think that about covers it...

3 Comments:

Blogger Renae said...

You're officially famous. Who needs a job now!

10:43 am  
Blogger Renae said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Did you get that? Happy birthday!!!

12:58 pm  
Blogger BSJ-rom said...

Cheers! Um, as much as I don't want money to be a driving force in my life, giving kids autographs because I used to play cricket poorly just doesn't pay the bills. I wish it did.

11:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home