Sunday, July 22, 2007

Fan Club becomes Official

I've been having far too much fun with my footy umpiring of late. And it has bugger-all to do with the footy. In fact, the footy that I've been umpiring has been of a relatively* poor standard. Last week I was out in the Dodges Ferry mud, this week it was in the Sorell water-hole.

Anyway, the story is, I have an official fan club. Never underestimate the power of hair, and trying to play soccer with a football, and talking to the crowd (basically going against every shred of wisdom imparted to me by the gods of umpiring). Every time I went by a certain flank, some guys would start serenading me (probably Wolfmother's greatest hits, but I can't be sure). Then, behind the goals, there was this legend with dreads. We got talking while I was waiting at the post (a giant faux pas for any sort of umpire: thou shalt not interact with the crowd) and he'd seen me the previous week at Dodges and he and his mates had been taking bets on whether I was a soccer player from wayback. This was due to attempts at juggling the footy during the half time break (soccer style). He reckons I got up to 30 - I think 10-15 was a more realistic number. Anyway, I had a drink in the bar afterwards and he came and introduced himself, and it was all very nice. It was at this stage that I confirmed the fact that I do have an "Official Fan Club". Putting boundary umpiring on the map: it's gotta be good for footy.

I think, now, I'm gonna have to preface blowing my whistle with a McEnroe-style "The ball was out".

It is sad that I can't actually be original. Oh well, maybe it'll happen one day.


*Relative to anything from Auskick to the AFL.

6 Comments:

Blogger mike said...

That's what happens with sub standard footy games the umpiring becomes the focus right?

9:42 pm  
Blogger BSJ-rom said...

Yeah, but usually because the umpiring drops to the standard of the footy. I am proud to say that the standard of umpiring from all members of the crew on Saturday was exceptional.

8:56 am  
Blogger Michael said...

It's good to see you building good umpire-crowd relations.

I suppose the lower the standard, the more casual the umps are allowed to get. (None of the "KNOCK IT OUT! KNOCK IT OUT!" has been uttered I trust?)

9:10 am  
Blogger BSJ-rom said...

Not so, michael. The lower the playing standard the lower the umpiring standards just because things get so messy. It's not "allowed".

12:40 pm  
Blogger Taz said...

Where does one sign up to said fan club?

(So I can avoid the place, naturally)

2:02 pm  
Blogger BSJ-rom said...

Dodges Ferry is their home...

2:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home