Thursday, November 13, 2008

Black S...

Who's going to read a post that starts with "I was running along..."

I was though, and we had about 150m til the end of the gentle 5km lunch time loop in the Meehan Ranges near Cambridge. I was in front and running on the left side of the track. I saw a black sti... nope, three metres away, definitely a black snake. Long black snake. Crap (not quite literally). I got high. Very high. And the snake reared as I soared over it. As far as I could tell it was about a 1.2m long tiger snake. Warm weather - 31 degC.

I had been cruising along quite gently, my pulse wouldn't have gotten much over 100. I swear it leapt to 160 or so in an instant.

Eventually I landed. And I sprinted.

Thankfully the guy that was behind me was a civil engineer... ok, that was a bit harsh and not true...

Thankfully the guy that was behind me didn't get got either. I've heard it's always the second person in line that gets got. I am grateful that this was not the case on this occasion.

The echidna was cute though.

4 Comments:

Blogger Renae said...

That's insane! Reckon you set a long jump record? Or high jump maybe. And how did you manage to run in 31 degrees without fainting?

10:52 pm  
Blogger Michael said...

...cute echidna.
Which cutely spiked the civil engineer...

11:14 pm  
Blogger Phil said...

Am I wrong for wondering what would have happened if there were three or more of you?

It was a nasty day to be running yesterday arvo. I was shattered at the end of my run, more than I think I have ever been in memory. It was tough getting home...

8:11 am  
Blogger BSJ-rom said...

Hmmm, we were going pretty slowly, but the guy I was running with was breathing quite heavily (which is an interesting comment coming from me, considering my breathing when I'm working hard). But I can't say I really noticed the heat when running at lunch.

In the afternoon we did 300m reps. It was really windy - quite a warm wind. That really dried me out and was particularly unpleasant. But I ran reasonably well.

3 or more of us? I dare say that we would have seen it earlier. But I'm not sure. It was already ugly, but all a bit freaky really.

12:32 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home