Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Day Trip to Melbourne

Just got back from my whirlwind Melbourne tour. Dad had been eyeing off a camper trailer for a little while and at 1:30pm on Monday, he floated the possibility of me picking it up from across the Strait. He finally made up his mind that we were getting the unit and that I was going. And that I was going to take the 8pm ferry from Devonport. So that was at about quarter past two. I was on the road by a quarter to three.

The trip to Devonport, and to Melbourne for that matter, was very uneventful - punctuated only by screenings of Ocean's 13 and The Flying Scotsman.

Having arrived in St Kilda at about 7:30, I had a bit of time to kill before The Music Place opened at 9. In the end, I managed to get myself a new mouthpiece for my little curved sop and a new box of reeds. So there went a couple of hundred bucks...

My directions to get to Frankston were from the ferry terminal, rather than from The Music Place, but I managed to get on the right track with the old "bear left on to St Kilda Rd. 1.6km. 2mins" whereis directions.

After getting the camper, I visited Nate Campbell. I called him when I was in Frankston. He said, "I live at 96 Kensington St, Kensington. That's like North-West Melbourne." Somehow I managed to find it with only those directions... and then get back to the boat rather early...

So, I was quite proud of my Melbourne navigation, considering that I didn't have any Melways or anything. (And the fact that I've managed to get myself lost in Hobart before.)

Fun times were had driving in Melbourne. My first time ever driving through the city in Melbourne was with a camper trailer on the back at peak hour.

On the boat, I randomly met up with a mate from engi. So we drank draughts all night long. And then there were the two Swiss tourists who we met. She had quite long legs... he was a banker.

And made it back to Hobart by a quarter to eleven on Wednesday morning.

6 Comments:

Blogger Renae said...

Well done. The bit about the Swiss tourists was funny.. sounded like a line from a crime novel. I'm not sure why..

4:57 pm  
Blogger Michael said...

Yeah, great line :-) Sounds like you had fun.

11:29 pm  
Blogger BSJ-rom said...

Aye aie aie. Two comments and they almost went under the radar.

Should I be worried that my hard-boiled detectives are laughable??? ("Funny...Line from a crime novel...") Hmmm.

As far as fun goes, yep, there were some fun times. A wee bit scary when you're relying on coffee to keep you awake at the wheel though.

11:45 pm  
Blogger Renae said...

Funny, cos it wasn't in the context of a hard-boiled detective fiction. It was in the middle of your story about what you did in Melbourne! How did you like Jono's going away drinks? Did you really get a phone call, or did you not want to talk to me and Adrian and Astrid?

12:34 pm  
Blogger Jonny said...

Why do you make fun of those that can't afford to go to Melbourne or get phone calls or purchice things?

1:16 am  
Blogger BSJ-rom said...

What have I don't Jonnie? It sounds bad, so I apologise.

1:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home