Friday, August 15, 2008

Olympics

I'm going mainstream here. I've watched a bit of the Olympics. I conclude that swimming is ok in small doses; handball is an awesome sport; and I'm looking forward to the athletics.

Why is it that I'm looking forward to the athletics. Afterall, it is just a bunch of people running round and round in ovals.

I think once you've tried to do it, to run around the orange track, over and over again, knowing the pain of lactic build-up, of exhaustion, there's something about watching "how it should be done". To put it in perspective, the last lap of the 5000m is probably run in about 55s. That's over 5s quicker than my quickest 400m.

The 400m runners run their races in the time it takes me to run 300m. In the marathon, if I double my half marathon time, the marathon runners would beat me by an hour.

Gee, that was good for my self esteem.

2 Comments:

Blogger Renae said...

Hahaha! That made me laugh. Your comment about your self-esteem. And yeah that is very mainstream of you. Heaven forbid, not mainstream! ;)

I had a conversation recently with a friend who is also disinterested with the Olympics, and I decided that that's because she's too "leftie" and doesn't want to be seen as embracing the typical right-winger, John Howard ideals of Australians being sporting champions and the great Australian dream blah blah.

I personally love the Olympics. Particularly swimming and gymnastics. And synchronised diving. I can't get interested in the athletics, but I can see that if you could sort of relate, then it would be interesting. Not that I can relate to swimming and gymnastics, cos I am pathetic at both, but somehow they appeal.

10:16 pm  
Blogger Phil said...

I'm disinterested thanks to my suspicions that plenty of people are cheating.

You can't tell me that the Chinese women's relay swimming team weren't doing drugs. Couple that with gymnast controversies and I give up. I enjoy watching the sport, but I don't care like I wish I could.

1:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home