Monday, July 21, 2008

Energy Arguments

What a scary though: Hydro Tasmania Generation making a profit. will they know what to do with it? Either way, it sure as hell has been raining this month.

I was just thinking, so much of the stuff we hear on the news is so directly related to mechnanical/renewable engineering. Barely a news bulletin goes by without reference to global warming, petrol. It's everywhere. I reckon it's worth doing the hard yards to get to that position - to be able to define where we are and where we are going in these quite challenging times.

But, the only problem is, with all this training, all this learning, I'll be darned if I know exactly which direction we've got to go.

I was meeting up with a couple of my engineer friends, and the topic came to nuclear power. I said, I just don't know what's going on. You can have two exceptionally intelligent, well educated people, and they can have polar opposite views on the subject. Then you have to wade through the stuff that isn't quite so well educated. I think that's where the education is really useful. Well constructed arguments are difficult to see through, irrespective of how right or wrong they are. But going back to basics, and understanding that allows us to equally present well constructed arguments. Passion is deceptive, though.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jonny said...

My nephew is 11 years old I think, and his school assignment is "should Tasmania sell water to the mainland through a pipeline?" He had to ask his family and get their opinions. Is this a real question do you think?

9:36 pm  
Blogger BSJ-rom said...

Sure it's a real question, but, when it's all said and done, Tasmania is in drought, so to pipe it off to the mainland is a bit of a worry.

Worth looking at CY O'Connor who designed the Kalgoorlie pipeline. He designed it to go from Mundaring Weir near Perth to Kalgoorlie. So, it's been done before.

The sheer volume of water required to have a significant impact, to me, seems dubious. It would have a direct adverse impact on the lives of Tasmanians.

9:57 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home