Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Questioner: Second Instalment

Back in grade 2 (I only did that once...) I recall receiving a Merit Award for "Asking thought-provoking questions in news sessions". I think it related to a boy who had had a "friend" over, but conveniently let out who the friend was... so I started the grilling, and the mob let it continue for what felt like another 20 minutes. The poor girl.

Ironically, it wasn't me who was told in grade 7 to look up the word pedantic - though it did prove to be a useful addition to my vocabulary. It was actually my best friend in primary school. He's a pretty smart cookie - we're talking chemistry Olympics smart. I went to his wedding last December and stayed with his family for 10 days. Some people are just as awesome now as they were 10 or 15 years ago. Thank God for those people. Admittedly there was significantly less tree climbing when I went across for the wedding than when I would visit when I was a little tacker. But there seems to be a theme of attention to detail. I think it's one I should be proud to be associated with.

Anyway, it's not all beer and skittles. For starters I'm just plain odd. I mean, a French kid who doesn't like cheese (unless it's melted, like on pizza). Go figure. I remember throwing up cheese sandwiches in primary school because I found the taste so revolting. Or olives. I don't like olives, but I like the idea of them and the flavour that they add to a dish. Or vegemite... that stuff just freaks me out - who cares what it tastes like. I have the phobia of sandwiches, spreads and dips. No buttered or marged bread for me, thanks. I don't know why I'm like that. The sad truth is that it was probably because my dear sister began like that - and grew out of (most of) it, and I didn't. Yet, what I eat, I eat lots of...

Darker even than food likes and dislikes was my intense dislike of boredom. Depends on the day, but I think I cope better with it now. In fact, I'd better - being the pinup boy for boring... I remember walking home from school some afternoons, absolutely fuming, ready to throttle someone with my bare hands. It's easily written, but when push comes to shove and those sort of thoughts linger in your mind, you get scared - or at least I am now. What if I lost control? Those hideous thoughts continue to plague me. Why did my mind go there? I don't know. I don't want it to go back there.

1 Comments:

Blogger Renae said...

Time for the third now :) jk, no pressure.

6:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home