Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Where are they all going?

Where is everyone going? Three going away parties have just been and gone in as many days - last Friday it was a sad farewell to the 'bat, or Wombat as he is more commonly known. Saturday night was farewell to Mr ABC in an Australia themed party - appropriate considering he's heading to be the Canberra political reporter. (Is "the" the right term? There must be a few of them. Either way, we're talking radio reporting.) And Sunday was a farewell to the Chief. Big Dave heads to the Alice for a spot of teaching.

Somehow I snuck in a bit of a shindig of my own in on the Saturday afternoon - after racing a 3km track race.

Coming off a solid night on Friday night - solid in terms of a few ales that slipped down all too easily - I was feeling raring to go for a big breakfast... The breakfast was indeed significant: abalone and swiss cheese wrapped in bacon and baked for a half hour or so; croissant and jam; a bowl of fruit salad; and finally a taste of rhubarb. I was hardly in a mood to push myself to death's door, as is the status quo for running such events. So I just followed out my training partner and gradually got slower as the race progressed. We ran the first km in 3min23, the second in 3min27 and the last also in 3min27. But it was that second km where I just felt that I couldn't be bothered hurting and pushing myself, so I just let them go - and I settled in about 25 - 30m behind the group I should have been running with. Anyway, with 150m to go, I thought, "gee, I'm not too far behind", so I kicked, and finished on the tail of my training partner in a time of 10min18.22s, less than 2s outside my personal best. It was that really weird - I put very little effort in and got remarkably close to a pb (10min16.5s). So I was pretty happy with that as it suggests that I'm starting to recover from the Christmas gorgement.

Sunday also saw me head to the cricket for the Australia v SAfrica blockbuster. It looked like it was going to end in tears when Australia only ended up with 249, but our Hilfy bowled us to a win in a rather nerve-racking final over.

The crowd was about 16000 people, so the traffic was mayhem, and I did not want to be a part of it. So, I did the old switcheroo into my running gear and ran for 95mins (about 20km) at a lovely pace. It further added to my running confidence as I felt like I could have easily continued for some time, despite some shin issues - which is the reason why I have been hitting the beach of late (in a wetsuitless capacity).

On the way back from the cricket, the traffic was all gone. I had just gotten back over the bridge, still well into the 70km/h zone. There was a white mini-bus puttng along at 60km/h. I'm getting a bit hot under the collar. I mean, why so slow? Anyway, I come racing up next to it (at 70km/h) ready to give a bit of an "unimpressed glance", I look up, to see Ricky Ponting sitting at one of the window seats. So I smiled and waved. And he looked back at me... with that "Who the hell are you???" look.

Anyway, off to the tennis now for Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

1 Comments:

Blogger Renae said...

Haha you legend! Do you mean he didn't wave back? What nerve! My that would've been funny to see.

You have been busy. And isn't that awesome when you let yourself slack off, and then do nearly as well as if you hadn't? I'm not using running as my example (I don't run, except for at 5km/h), but it's often the case with other things too. Good effort all round.

You'll have to report back on the shenania of the Open. Take a photo of Federer for me.

7:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home