Sunday, September 02, 2007

Joshy May

It's been four days since my last confession...

Since then there has been a lot of time spent doing work. On Thursday night, I left uni at about 2am Friday morning... was driving along almost home. I could almost smell dinner. And all of a sudden I see these flashing lights. Normally brown pants are required when I see them, but on this occasion I was too tired to care. The cop comes out and says "Can I see your licence?" "Sure." "Had anything to drink tonight?" "Nope." He does the licence check walks around the car, gives me back my licence and says "Have a good night?"

The next morning I was fast asleep at ten to ten and my mobile rings. "It's John Muir from Muir's Winches. Can you come in today for a chat?" "Sure. I can come in... before lunch." It had to be before lunch cos I was umpiring the engi law footy game and I still had to go in to uni to submit the assignment. "What time specifically" John asks. "Uh, 11:30." "Ok, I'll see you then."

I get there to find that it's an actual job interview. They want somebody who's an absolute gun on CAD. The guy says, "Oh, it's pretty glamourous industry, so we don't actually pay much. It's a good job though." So, that's a good thing, I reckon. It's better to be on bugger all living in a nice place doing interesting work (bugger all being still an acceptable wage) than on oodles living in a hell hole stoking a fire. The guy who interviewed me said he was impressed with me, so that's nice. Not sure what that means though.

Engi v Law footy game was after that - it was my first attempt at field umpiring. I umpired with Quentin and Justin. We're all engi boys and we still couldn't get them up... It was so cold that after the game Justin couldn't even button his shirt. And my joints were in pain. But it was lots of fun. Beer at half time always makes things a little more amusing. Gee field umpiring is easy (running-wise). Especially when you umpire three-umpire system, the game is so slow and you aren't trying to impress anyone.

On Saturday I was back on the boundary in the SFL Premier League 2nd Semi Final. Glenorchy v Clarence at KGV. There were three of us running the boundary - I was ranked third out of them, so I only did two and a half quarters. I tried to run hard. After the game the coach comes in and shakes my hand. "Well done mate. You gave it 100%. The other two guys are obviously fitter than you, but well done." So I was happy that he realised that I had run my guts out. We all knew that the other two are a lot fitter than me, so I didn't have any problems with that comment - but it does help to reinforce some sense of perspective.

After that, I had curry night. It was all very nice. The curries did lack a bit of kick - you know, that lovely hot vindaloo. Oh well, it still tasted good. Had about 30 people rock up - half FOCUS, half OCF. We all got on really well, and we were all keen to mingle. Another cool thing was the number of engineers there. There is a large contingent of Christian engineers. I think that it's fantastic... but I suppose the challenge is to live that out in our faculty - some would say we don't get massive opportunities to do so, so I suppose it's a challenge to step up to.

Today was/is Sunday. Father's day. Unfortunately/fortunately, I was really tired so I wasn't real chirpy. Not helping me was the fact that I was on music, so I had to be up early. Oh well. So it went well in the morning with my beloved clarinet. In the evening, however, it was drama upon drama. I pulled out the sop for the first time in a service. In practice it was a case of even me being able to tell I was out of tune. Anyway, Cath and I fiddled about a bit and found that in my bottom register I was close enough to being in tune for it not to be a problem. However, in the middle register I was generally a semitone out, and in some cases a full tone out. So I'm a little bewildered and concerned by this and will have to shoot an email off to Melbourne. So I just made sure I played in that bottom register, playing as subtly as I could... people are nice, so they didn't give me any grief about it - not yet anyway!

And then Mottram tired. That was a little sad. And the Croat chick couldn't get the world record in the high jump...

No classes this week - only have to do a whole freakin honours project and a couple of other assignments. Pray for me if you would. I'm scared.

Anyway, it's late. I need sleep. I'm going to bed.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jonny said...

Thanks for the Muirs idea. I will e-mail them about work experience. And I don't mind CAD.

1:57 pm  
Blogger Renae said...

Man, you're busy. But you don't need me to tell you this.. But what's cool, is that you still go to things like the FOCUS curry night and play at church and stuff. I only had one essay due Monday, yet I did not go to the curry night because I was too busy with that. So the moral of the story is that you must be much better with time management! And yeah, I'm praying for you. Let us know how the job thing goes.

2:20 pm  
Blogger BSJ-rom said...

I've just spent the last hour or so on Facebook and my blog...

2:26 pm  
Blogger Renae said...

I very much know that feeling!

10:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home