Saturday, April 05, 2008

First Game Back

I had my first game for the season: North Hobart v New Norfolk (The Dees v Norfik), which was a good close game all the way through til halfway through the last quarter.

With a point the different at 3 quarter time, the two teams traded goals. About halfway through that last quarter, with Norfik down by about a goal, a Norfik player took a mark or was awarded a free kick. But, being a bogan twit, he thought it was appropriate to land a clenched fist into the midriff of his opposing player. The field umpire promptly reversed the kick. The Norfik redneck then mouthed off. A 50m penalty was awarded. He kept mouthing off, another was awarded, and so the free kick was taken on the goal line. That stupidity lost them the game. One guy just losing it was the difference between the two teams. The Dees ran away with it and won by a few goals. I've never understood how someone can be so selfish in a team game, to swing fists when your team has momentum and is a goal down halfway through the last stanza. Then to mouth off afterwards and give away a goal is just unforgivable. Or close enough to it. He was one of the best players, but if I was coach, he wouldn't be playing next week.

I have to say that the standard of the footy was quite impressive. I was a bit crook and lacking some match fitness, so I struggled in the second half, but it was quite a solid game. It was one of those games that are quite physical, but aren't actually all that fast. (Though I'm pretty sure it did speed up in the second half.) One way or another, my calves are in hellish pain at the moment and walking is a struggle. I'll be right tomorrow I reckon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home