Sunday, December 07, 2008

Everywhere

What have I been up to, you ask. Well, this weekend just gone was as jam packed as any recent weekend on record.

Thursday and Friday I was at the Australasian Wind Engineers Society Workshop. There, I discovered why I don't call myself a wind engineer. That involved conference dinner on Thursday night. Friday afternoon was spent at the Cascade gardens drinking their fine beverage and indulging in a gourmet bbq. I then went home briefly so as to have dinner with my sister before she flew out, before my main dinner at the home of the conference convenor. As everything was all rather slick, time wise, I didn't get time to change out of my Hydro gear before heading back into town for the second dinner. So, after the second dinner, it was my typically "worky" night on the town. I was itending to meet up with Jesse from work... which i did eventually, but first I ran into a group of umpires out on the town for a buck's party. Quite amusing, because they were a party of four, two of which were field umpires that don't particularly like me. There was another field umpire there who I get along with well, and a goal umpire who I also get along with. One of the ones that doesn't like me made inference to the fact that I was there at one stage, while the other managed to continue completely impervious to me. It was an impressive effort really. I'm not sure what I did, but it would have been quite amusing if it wasn't so sad.

So that was that bit...

Ended up getting to bed around 2am. Being designated driver doesn't stop me from being out late...

So I washed a bit of grime off a couple of cars on Saturday morning/early afternoon, before heading to the athletics track for a 3km race. I managed a very solid 10min 16, which I was quite pleased with. It's crazy, it's a 7.5lap race. You go around nicely for the first 3 laps, it starts to hurt a bit during the 4th, but it's not too bad, then all of a sudden, every step is a mighty effort. I was holding on the back of a couple of guys, and I learnt something about mental strength. At each point you're so much closer to just letting the pack go and just "doing it in my own time". Either way, it hurts, and I was hurting so much that I feared I wouldn't have a kick, so rather than kicking at 150, which is when I knew the other guy would kick, I went with 250m to go. After the race I had nothing left, I could barely stand. Interestingly, the first 1500m was in 5min 14s, the second was in 5min2s, so the back half was a lot quicker.

After that, I went home and packed some gear to go to Launceston - I made it up for a bonfire/mate from uni's birthday. The bonfire involved petrol. It was crazy. Nobody was injured! I was up at 6am, then I went to bed! I left at 10:30am to make it back for the 21st. The 21st involved backyard cricket, which was my first bash for the summer, really. Sent down a few deliveries. There was a bit of crap, but there was a bit of rhythm starting make its way into my delivery stride.

I could only stay at the 21st for around 45mins, so that was a bit disappointing, but I had my last game of Gaelic footy for the year. Ended up being a pretty good game. We won pretty easily in the end. Winning is nice.

Anyway, now it could be time to sleep.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jonny said...

What was the dress code for the Launceston party?

11:57 pm  
Blogger BSJ-rom said...

I was in shorts and tshirt... then I put track pants on. Everyone else was dressed up a bit more... they had plans of hitting the town later... but didn't in the end.

10:34 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home