Thursday, August 02, 2007

I'm a teacher...

I had psychometric testing for Hydro today. It was a little dodgy - they didn't give me a helluva lot of time to get it done. I found out about it late yesterday and they wanted me to have it done by the close of business today. Too bad if you're busy.

Hydro seems like a good place to work once you're in, but are incredibly tardy in sorting out their interviews and the like. Last year for work experience I would have liked to have worked for them, however, I had a job offer before they had even come close to sorting out times for their interviews. Probably doesn't matter too much.

I went into Hobart College today to talk to the vet engineering students. I introduced them to the Reynold's number: density * velocity * diameter / viscosity. So I mentioned tried to explain that if you have a wind tunnel with air and a water tunnel with water, you can model the same scenario if you hold that Reynold's number constant. It's pretty nifty if you think about it. Unfortunately we never got to do "cool" designs and experiments using it... and the students at HC or at the primary schools don't really need it. What a waste.

Unfortunately, on my sleep in morning (ie tomorrow) I have to be up at the crack of dawn (or 7am, ie earlier than a non-sleep-in morning) to go to Montagu Bay Primary. All the media has been invited. Should be interesting as I mumble through an explanation of aerodynamics... I hear John was struggling to teach high school kids about area, so talking about frontal area reducing drag, and drag being proportional to velocity cubed should go down beautifully.

Anyway, time to go run.

4 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

"Good-morning-Mister-Rowcroft"

Hope you go well with your 'teaching' assignment. Hopefully they understand 'drag' to be more than what they think being there is.

8:22 pm  
Blogger BSJ-rom said...

Yeah Michael, thanks for your vote of confidence...

10:42 pm  
Blogger Taz said...

"Kids, don't do drugs. Or aerodynamics."

9:15 am  
Blogger Renae said...

Cool! You know you're all grown up when you get invited to speak to high school students! Well done

3:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home