Friday, August 10, 2007

Not real busy or anything...

It's Friday afternoon. I have just finished doing another Inventor tutorial. I had a full day seminar with guys teachers from around the state, run by Gary Adderton, my external supervisor - he flew Ian Simms (CEO of Greenspeed) across to address us. He was pretty awesome. And before that I was at Montagu Bay Primary School sanding foam streamline figures with the kids there. I was tired before that and I am tired now, but it has been a great day. And it is only halfway through. Meant to be having dinner at Customs House with Gary and us Honours boys and Ian Simms. And then there's the graduation party for Irene, Chara, Liz and whoever else wants to clebrate...

And then up bright and early to umpire two quarters of the Glenorchy v Lauderdale colts match. While that in itself is not a particular worry, the fact is that I'm running with a couple of absolute whippets in front of the VFL Director of Umpiring. The story went that he told one of the VFL dudes from Lonnie that it might be time for a bit of "Snip Snip" action... alas, the poor bugger had just had a haircut a few days prior. I made the comment to my coach that "Kev's gonna love my hair (not to mention my sweatband!)", to which my coach pondered: "Hmmm, yeah, I was a bit worried about that..."

And then there's the laser skirmish. What to wear... Major conundrum.

Then on Sunday, apparently Nicolas is preaching at Kingston. That's what mum was saying, so I might have to get to church on time for once! It'll be interesting to see what heresies he's got up his sleave! Actually, I think he's a little less controversial than me...

And then there's footy training on Sunday afternoon - if I don't get a call saying "Jerome, can you go and umpire these under 15 elimination final out at Pontville?" Keith faxed through the forms to hire out North Hobart Oval for AFL grand final day. So mark it down on your social calendars: September 29th, 2007, North Hobart Oval, from 10:30am: The Southern Saints take on the might(?) of the North... come to the Arena as the Churches fight it out! (I've almost got the Don King hair.)

Gee, that was rather meaty for a short post...

And I just remembered, on Monday afternoon, I have a meeting to talk about the 10 year strategy of the School of Engineering. I'm looking forward to that. I think it'll be a good chance to appear as somebody with positive ideas about the future, rather than a nagging whinger. There are so many possibilities, so many ways to improve the place.

One of the things I'd like to see more of, is making better use of our lecturers. We have some great lecturers teaching great subjects - but in many cases they're teaching to only 20 people. We could open them up to science students and they could be lecturing to 100 people, we would get better tutorial and tutor allocations and the school of engineering would get some much needed funding boosting.

Secondly, it would be great to get more engineering students into the schools. Those kids at Montagu Bay absolutely loved what we had to say. More of that and it might actually put engineering back on the map as a worthwhile career choice.

And further really good news is that the complaint lecturer has really picked up his game! I was talking to some of the guys doing advanced dynamics with him and they were saying that his latest lecture or two have been excellent. That makes me happy.

3 Comments:

Blogger BSJ-rom said...

Nicolas is preaching in the evening, as far as I could tell. Kevin Mitchell felt that my hair detracted from my performance and I'm about to get ready to skirm.

1:34 pm  
Blogger Renae said...

Good to hear progress was made (with the lecturer dude).

Hawthorn won, doo doo doo..

COME ON, post about laser skirmish!! How much fun did I miss out on?

10:46 am  
Blogger BSJ-rom said...

I'm going to have some coffee then I might post about it... but yes, it was top notch, good clean Christian wholesome fun! And we had 29 people there, so we needed one more!

And then there was Balderdash afterwards...

Good times.

11:55 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home